Creating and managing employee shifts can be a challenge. To stay on top of things, you need an efficient way to build, share, and manage employee workloads. That's where ClickUp's Employee Schedule Template comes in!
This template helps make employee scheduling easier by giving you the tools to:
- Visually plan work schedules for teams
- Prioritize tasks and sync them with specific employees' availability
- Track time off requests and ensure everyone is compliant with labor laws
Whether you’re managing a single employee or a large workforce, this template has everything you need to create optimal schedules quickly and efficiently—all in one place.
Benefits of an Employee Schedule Template
Managing employee schedules can be a daunting task. An employee schedule template can help simplify the process by:
- Making it easier to create and manage employee schedules
- Ensuring all shifts are filled with qualified staff
- Providing visibility into labor costs
- Improving communication between managers and employees
Main Elements of an Employee Schedule Template
ClickUp's Employee Schedule Template is designed to help you manage employee schedules, workloads, and more. This List template includes:
- Custom Statuses: Mark task status such as Blocked, Complete, In Progress, and To Do to keep track of employee schedules
- Custom Fields: Use 6 different custom attributes such as Labor Cost, Hourly Rate, Shift Manager, Issues, Target, to save vital information about employees and easily visualize employee data
- Custom Views: Open 7 different views in different ClickUp configurations, such as the Getting Started Guide, Employee Capacity, Status Board, Weekly Schedule, Employee Tasks, and more so that all the information is easy to access and organized
- Project Management: Improve employee scheduling with time tracking capabilities, tags, dependency warning, emails, and more
How to Use an Employee Schedule Template
Creating an employee schedule can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Follow these six steps to create a schedule that works for both you and your employees:
1. Set your goals
Before you get started, it’s important to set your goals for the schedule. What kind of coverage do you need? What hours will your business be open? Are there any special shifts or events that need to be accommodated.
Use a Doc in ClickUp to brainstorm ideas and goals for your schedule.
2. Collect employee availability
Once your goals are established, you’ll need to collect employee availability. You can do this by sending out a survey or simply asking each employee in person. Make sure to ask for both availability and preferences, as this will help you create a schedule that works for everyone.
Create a task in ClickUp for each employee and include their availability and preferences as custom fields.
3. Build a draft schedule
Using the availability information you’ve collected, create a draft schedule that takes into account your goals and employees’ preferences. You can use a spreadsheet program or other suitable software to help you visualize the schedule and adjust it as needed.
Use the Table view in ClickUp to build your own customized spreadsheet.
4. Receive feedback
Once you’ve created a draft schedule, send it out to your employees for feedback. Ask for their input on changes they would like to see and see if there are any areas where they think the schedule could be improved.
Use the Board view in ClickUp to create a visual representation of the draft schedule and send it out for feedback.
5. Make edits
Based on the feedback you’ve received, make the appropriate edits to the schedule. You may need to adjust certain shifts or add new ones to accommodate special requests or events.
Use Automations in ClickUp to quickly adjust shifts and add new ones as needed.
6. Finalize the schedule
Once you’re happy with the schedule, it’s time to finalize it. Make sure to communicate the schedule to all of your employees and answer any questions they may have.
Use the Milestones feature in ClickUp to create tasks and deadlines for communicating the schedule to employees.
Get Started with ClickUp's Employee Schedule Template
Human resources professionals can use this Employee Schedule Template to help everyone stay on the same page when it comes to scheduling tasks and managing staff availability.
First, hit “Add Template” to sign up for ClickUp and add the template to your Workspace. Make sure you designate which Space or location in your Workspace you’d like this template applied.
Next, invite relevant members or guests to your Workspace to start collaborating.
Now you can take advantage of the full potential of this template to manage employee schedules:
- Use the Getting Started Guide View to familiarize yourself with the template and its features
- The Employee Capacity View will help you plan out how many hours each employee should work
- The Status Board View will give you a quick overview of tasks in progress and tasks left to do
- The Weekly Schedule View will help you plan out employee schedules for the week and make sure no one is overworked
- The Employee Tasks View will show you all the tasks assigned to each employee, so you can keep track of progress
- Organize tasks into four different statuses: Blocked, Complete, In Progress, To Do, to keep track of progress
- Update statuses as tasks are completed to keep team members informed of progress
- Monitor and analyze tasks to ensure maximum productivity