The K-W-L Chart is a powerful tool that allows you to break down any topic into three main categories: what you Know, what you Want to know, and what you Learned. This visual way of organizing information helps teams better understand the scope of their projects, identify areas of overlap, and develop actionable plans for success.
ClickUp's K-W-L Chart Template makes it easier than ever to create these charts with its fully customizable features. With this template, your team can:
- Identify learning objectives and track progress
- Organize resources and collaborate on tasks
- Visualize data more clearly and drive decisions
No matter the project or goal, ClickUp's K-W-L Chart Template will help your team stay organized and move forward quickly!
Benefits of a KWL Chart Template
A KWL chart template is a great tool to help you organize your thoughts and gain a better understanding of any topic. Benefits of using a KWL chart include:
- Organizing your thoughts and allowing you to break down complex topics into more manageable chunks
- Increasing your focus and your ability to quickly identify key points and relevant information
- Helping you to identify gaps in your knowledge and prioritize your needs in terms of further research
- Boosting your critical thinking skills and helping you to develop a more structured approach to problem-solving
Main Elements of a KWL Chart Template
ClickUp's KWL Chart Template is designed to help you organize and track knowledge-based tasks. This List template includes:
- Custom Statuses: Create tasks with custom statuses such as Open and Complete to keep track of the progress of each step in the process
- Custom Fields: Categorize and add attributes to your tasks, such as Category, Reference, and Details, to easily visualize the steps of a process
- Custom Views: Open 3 different views in different ClickUp configurations, such as Board, Start Here, and List so that you can hit the ground running
- Project Management: Improve knowledge-based task tracking with tagging, nested subtasks, multiple assignees, and priority labels
How to Use a KWL Chart Template
A KWL chart is a useful tool that can help you organize and prioritize information. The KWL chart template in ClickUp makes it easy to track what you know, want to know, and have learned about a particular subject. Here are 6 steps to help you get started:
1. Identify the subject
Before you start creating the KWL chart, you need to identify the topic or subject you want to track. For example, if you’re trying to learn more about a certain topic, it’s important to decide what it is that you want to learn before you get started.
Use a Doc in ClickUp to write down the topic you want to focus on.
2. Create the KWL Chart
Once you know what you’re going to track, it’s time to create the KWL chart. This template will provide you with a convenient place to list the information you already know, the information you want to know, and the information you’ve already learned.
Create a Board view in ClickUp to easily create a KWL chart with three columns for Know, Want to Know, and Learned.
3. Fill in the “Know” column
Start by writing down everything that you already know about the subject in the “Know” column. This will give you a good starting point to build from and help you identify areas where you need to learn more.
Use tasks in ClickUp to record the information you already know about the subject.
4. Fill in the “Want to Know” column
Once you’ve written down what you already know, it’s time to fill in the “Want to Know” column. This is where you can list all of the questions or topics that you want to find out more about.
Create tasks in ClickUp to record what it is that you want to know about the subject.
5. Fill in the “Learned” column
As you work your way through the list of topics in the “Want to Know” column, you can start filling in the “Learned” column with the information that you discover. This will help you keep track of what you’ve learned and make it easier to refer back to later.
Create tasks in ClickUp to record the information you've learned about the subject.
6. Review and update
Once you’ve filled out the KWL chart, it’s important to review and update it regularly. This will help ensure that you keep track of any new information you discover and make it easy to refer back to it in the future.
Set a recurring task in ClickUp to review and update your KWL chart.
Get Started with ClickUp's KWL Chart Template
Educators can use this KWL Chart Template to help everyone stay on the same page when it comes to identifying knowledge, understanding concepts and planning strategies.
First, hit “Add Template” to sign up for ClickUp and add the template to your Workspace. Make sure you designate which Space or location in your Workspace you’d like this template applied.
Next, invite relevant members or guests to your Workspace to start collaborating.
Now you can take advantage of the full potential of this template to create a KWL chart:
- Use the Board View to create a virtual board where you can brainstorm and organize ideas
- The Start Here View will help you keep track of your starting point and plan out the next steps
- The List View will give you a space to list out all of your ideas and tasks in a linear format
- Organize tasks into two different statuses: Open and Complete, to keep track of progress
- Update statuses as you progress through tasks to keep stakeholders informed of progress
- Monitor and analyze tasks to ensure maximum productivity