IT inventory is an essential part of any IT department. From tracking hardware and software to managing licenses, having a robust system in place to manage it all is essential for staying organized and efficient.
ClickUp's IT Inventory Template helps you do exactly that. It provides the perfect balance of visibility and control so you can:
- Get full visibility into your IT assets
- Easily track hardware and software
- Organize license management without missing a beat
Whether you're onboarding new team members or updating existing systems, ClickUp's IT Inventory Template has everything you need to stay on top of your tech stack!
Benefits of an IT Inventory Template
An IT inventory template is a powerful tool that can help you keep track of all your IT assets and technology resources. Here are some of the benefits of using an IT inventory template:
- Reduces potential losses due to theft or damage
- Provides accurate and up-to-date information for budgeting and forecasting
- Helps ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Increases visibility into IT assets, enabling more efficient allocation of resources
Main Elements of an IT Inventory Template
ClickUp's IT Inventory Template is designed to help you manage and track your IT assets and inventory. This List template includes:
- Custom Statuses: Mark task status such as Available, Order Complete, Order Placed, To Be Ordered to keep track of current active inventory
- Custom Fields: Use custom attributes to save vital information about assets and easily visualize inventory data
- Custom Views: Open 4 different views in different ClickUp configurations, such as the Summary, Current Inventory, By Status, and Getting Started Guide so that all the information is easy to access and organized
- Project Management: Improve inventory tracking with time tracking capabilities, tags, dependency warning, emails, and more
How to Use an IT Inventory Template
Creating an IT inventory can be time-consuming, but it is a necessary part of IT asset management. By following the steps below, you can create an inventory that will help you keep track of all your IT assets and save you time in the long run.
1. Gather all your assets
The first step is to gather all the IT assets that you need to track. This includes hardware such as computers, servers, routers, and printers, as well as software, licenses, and other related items.
Create tasks in ClickUp to list all of your IT assets.
2. Collect information
Once you’ve gathered all your assets, you’ll need to collect additional information about each item. This includes the make and model, serial number, purchase date, and any other relevant details.
Create custom fields in ClickUp to organize the info you need.
3. Create an inventory spreadsheet
Create a spreadsheet or other suitable document that will contain all the necessary information about your IT assets. This should include columns for the asset name, model, serial number, purchase date, and any other relevant data.
Use the Table view in ClickUp to easily create your inventory spreadsheet.
4. Enter your data
Now it’s time to enter your information into the spreadsheet. Start by entering the make and model number for each asset, followed by the serial number and purchase date.
Create tasks in ClickUp to enter data into the spreadsheet.
5. Save and backup
Save your spreadsheet and make sure to back it up in multiple places. This will ensure that your data is always safe and accessible.
Create a Goal in ClickUp to track the progress of your backup schedule.
6. Monitor and update
Finally, monitor your IT assets on a regular basis and update your inventory as needed. This will help you keep track of all the items in your inventory and ensure that they are up-to-date and accurate.
Set a recurring task in ClickUp to monitor and update your IT inventory.
Get Started with ClickUp's IT Inventory Template
IT professionals can use this IT Inventory Template to help everyone stay on the same page when it comes to tracking and managing IT assets.
First, hit “Add Template” to sign up for ClickUp and add the template to your Workspace. Make sure you designate which Space or location in your Workspace you’d like this template applied.
Next, invite relevant members or guests to your Workspace to start collaborating.
Now you can take advantage of the full potential of this template to manage your IT inventory:
- The Summary View will help you quickly get a summary of your current inventory status and view any upcoming orders
- The Current Inventory View will give you an overview of all items currently in your inventory
- The By Status View will help you organize and track all items based on their status
- The Getting Started Guide View will provide you with a step-by-step guide to getting started with your IT inventory
- Organize items into four different statuses: Available, Order Complete, Order Placed, To Be Ordered, to keep track of progress
- Update statuses as you acquire items to keep stakeholders informed of progress
- Monitor and analyze tasks to ensure maximum productivity