A design brief is the first and most important step in any successful design project. It helps you define the scope, objectives, and approach of a project so that everyone involved is on the same page—from designers to stakeholders.
ClickUp's Design Brief Template helps you stay focused and organized by easily creating a comprehensive design brief that ensures:
- Clear communication between teams
- Alignment of goals across stakeholders
- Smooth collaboration with your entire team
Whether it's an app, website, or something else entirely, this easy-to-use template helps you create a well-defined plan for success!
Benefits of a Design Brief Template
A design brief template is a powerful tool to ensure that everyone on the creative team is on the same page. When used correctly, it can:
- Help create a unified vision for the project
- Make sure everyone has the same expectations for the outcome
- Allow team members to effectively collaborate and work together
- Ensure that the final product meets the client’s needs and expectations
Main Elements of a Design Brief Template
ClickUp's Design Brief Template is designed to help you easily manage the design process. This List template includes:
- Custom Statuses: Mark task status such as Client Review, Complete, Development, Final Approval, and In Progress to keep track of the progress of the project
- Custom Fields: Use 9 different custom attributes such as Followup Date, Responsibility, End Date, Phase, and more to save vital information about the project and easily visualize progress
- Custom Views: Open 4 different views in different ClickUp configurations, such as the Creative Brief Whiteboard, Getting Started Guide, Creative Brief Tasks, and Timeline so that all the information is easy to access and organized
- Project Management: Improve design brief tracking with time tracking capabilities, tags, dependency warnings, emails, and more
How to Use a Design Brief Template
Creating a design brief helps ensure that the creative team is on the same page and that all stakeholders have an understanding of the goals and objectives of the project. Here are six easy steps to help you create a design brief using ClickUp:
1. Identify the purpose of the project
Start by answering the question, “What is the goal of this project?” Is it to create a new logo? Create a website? Develop a new marketing campaign? Knowing the overall purpose of the project will help guide the rest of the design brief.
Write down your project purpose in a Doc in ClickUp.
2. Set measurable objectives
Now that you know the purpose of the project, it’s time to set measurable objectives. These objectives should be specific and achievable and should relate to the project’s purpose. For example, if you are designing a website, one of your objectives might be to “increase website traffic by 25% in six months.”
Create Goals in ClickUp to track progress towards your objectives.
3. Outline the target audience
It’s important to have a clear understanding of who the target audience of the project is. This will help inform the design decisions that are made.
Create a Board view in ClickUp to visualize different demographics of your target audience.
4. Detail the project timeline
Having a well-defined timeline is essential for any creative project. Establishing a timeline will help ensure that the project stays on track and that deadlines are met.
Use Gantt chart in ClickUp to visualize the timeline of the project.
5. Specify the deliverables
Be sure to include a section in the design brief outlining what the end deliverables should be. This should include all of the assets you expect to receive as part of the project, such as logos, website designs, etc.
Create tasks in ClickUp to track the deliverables and assign them to the relevant team members.
6. Collect feedback
Once the design brief is complete, it’s a good idea to solicit feedback from stakeholders to make sure that everyone is on the same page.
Use Email in ClickUp to send the design brief and collect feedback.
Get Started with ClickUp's Design Brief Template
Designers can use this Design Brief Template to help everyone stay on the same page when it comes to communicating project details and outlining expectations.
First, hit “Add Template” to sign up for ClickUp and add the template to your Workspace. Make sure you designate which Space or location in your Workspace you’d like this template applied.
Next, invite relevant members or guests to your Workspace to start collaborating.
Now you can take advantage of the full potential of this template to create stunning designs:
- Use the Creative Brief Whiteboard View to visualize and organize ideas for the project
- The Getting Started Guide View will help you understand the scope of the project and plan out the different stages
- The Creative Brief Tasks View will give you a space to store all of your tasks related to the project
- The Timeline View will help you keep track of deadlines and ensure you stay on schedule
- Organize tasks into seven different statuses: Client Review, Complete, Development, Final Approval, In Progress, to keep track of progress
- Update statuses as you progress through tasks to keep stakeholders informed of progress
- Monitor and analyze tasks to ensure maximum productivity