Succession planning is a critical part of any organization’s long-term success. With the right plan in place, you can create a smooth transition when key personnel retire or move on.
ClickUp's Succession Planning Template helps you determine:
- Who your current and future leadership team will be
- How roles and responsibilities will shift with new personnel onboarding
- What skills and abilities are needed for each position
This template ensures that your knowledge base remains strong, regardless of changes in personnel. It helps you easily plan for the future in an organized and collaborative way—all in one place!
Benefits of a Succession Planning Template
Succession planning is a crucial part of any business’s long-term strategy. A succession planning template can help you:
- Identify potential successors and plan for their development
- Ensure continuity of operations and provide stability to the business, even when top leaders change
- Develop a pipeline of leadership talent to support your future goals
- Save time and reduce stress by having a template in place that outlines the succession process
Main Elements of a Succession Planning Template
ClickUp's Succession Planning Template is designed to help you manage and track succession planning within your organization. This Folder template includes:
- Custom Statuses: Create tasks with custom statuses such as In Progress, Closed, and Open to keep track of the progress of each step in the succession planning process
- Custom Fields: Categorize and add attributes to manage your tasks and easily visualize the steps of the succession planning process
- Custom Views: Open 2 different views in different ClickUp configurations, such as the List and Getting Started Guide so that you can hit the ground running
- Project Management: Improve succession planning tracking with tagging, nested subtasks, multiple assignees, and priority labels
How to Use a Succession Planning Template
Succession planning is a critical component of any business, as it ensures that key positions can be filled in the event of unexpected departures or retirements. Follow these steps to create a succession plan for your business:
1. Identify key positions
The first step in creating a succession plan is to identify the positions in your organization that are most critical to its success. These are the roles that will need to be filled in the event of a departure or retirement.
Use a Board view in ClickUp to list and prioritize key positions.
2. Assess current employees
Once you have identified the key positions, assess the current employees to determine who has the skills and qualifications to fill them. Consider their performance, experience, and potential for growth when making your decisions.
Use the Table view in ClickUp to create a spreadsheet of each employee and their qualifications for the position.
3. Plan for development
Once you have identified the potential successors, you need to plan for their development. This includes creating a training and development plan to ensure they have the necessary skills and knowledge to take on the role when the time comes.
Create tasks in ClickUp to track progress on training and development plans.
4. Monitor progress
Finally, it’s important to track the progress of your succession plan over time. This can be done by regularly reviewing the performance of the potential successors and making any necessary adjustments to their training and development plans.
Set a recurring task in ClickUp to review the progress of your succession plan.
Get Started with ClickUp's Succession Planning Template
HR professionals can use this Succession Planning Template to help everyone stay on the same page when it comes to identifying and developing future leaders.
First, hit “Add Template” to sign up for ClickUp and add the template to your Workspace. Make sure you designate which Space or location in your Workspace you’d like this template applied.
Next, invite relevant members or guests to your Workspace to start collaborating.
Now you can take advantage of the full potential of this template to plan for the future:
- Use the List View to keep track of all succession planning tasks
- The Getting Started Guide View will help you get organized and understand the succession planning process
- Organize tasks into three different statuses: In Progress, Closed, Open, to keep track of progress
- Update statuses as you progress through tasks to keep stakeholders informed of progress
- Collaborate with stakeholders to brainstorm ideas and create a succession plan
- Hold regular meetings to discuss progress and any issues
- Monitor and analyze tasks to ensure maximum productivity